It was on June 27, 1933 that Quebec’s dairy breeding pioneers officially founded the Holstein Québec Association. The first provincial meeting of the Holstein-Friesian Association of Canada in Quebec, chaired by Mr. W. L. Carr, was held on June 5, 1934, at the Château de Huntingdon. At that time, our Association consisted of a federation of 14 clubs, with a membership of 500. Representatives from each of the clubs formed the board of directors.
By 2020, the Association’s membership had grown to 4036, divided into 26 clubs. Holstein Quebec members make up about 45 per cent of the membership of Holstein Canada.
Throughout its history, Holstein Québec has focused on providing services to its members. Find out about our mission and vision to learn more about the association!
It is impossible to talk about the history of the Holstein breed in Quebec without mentioning the contribution of the Mount Victoria Farm and its founder, T. B. Macaulay. Starting in 1924, this breeder applied his knowledge of Holstein genetics to developing a well-conformed, high-producing model cow. Thanks to his herd, one of the most famous in Quebec and renowned throughout the world, the Mount Victoria Farm became, in 1942, the first farm in Quebec to be rewarded with a Master Breeder shield. Today, a large part of the purebred Holstein population can be traced back to the original Montvic herd.