You wish to continue perfecting your knowledge of Holstein breeding? The team of advisors at Holstein Québec offers a number of different seminars and practical workshops. Both 3- and 5-hour sessions can be provided for individuals as well as for clubs or groups of breeders or students. Contact Holstein Québec or your advisor to organize a training session designed to meet your needs.
1. Genetic Improvement – How to Make it Happen
This training session covers the importance of breeding goals, cow and cow family selection, sire selection, and genomics.
2. Dairy Shows – How to Get Ready
This session provides practical training relating to dairy shows: feeding, washing, clipping, showmanship, putting together an exhibit, show routines, and on-farm preparation.
3. Breeding Workshops
Academic and practical workshops on genealogy, sire selection, milk recording, classification, embryo transfers, etc.
- Influential cow families and bulls
- Understanding a pedigree
- Update on embryo transfers
- Tools to increase your profitability
- Polled gene: a trend, a tool, a market
4. How to Succeed in Marketing
This training session covers a range of topics: selection, buying and selling animals, selling embryos, advertising and marketing, American markets, etc.
- Distinguishing oneself from the competition
- Genomics: an additional tool within our reach
- Marketing our genetics
- Looking for something? You’ll find it on the Internet!
- Demystifying American proofs
5. Earning Awards
This course provides an explanation of the criteria for awards such as Master Breeder shields, Star Brood and Superior Production certificates as well as Super 3, Longtime, and Canadian Champions awards.
6. Genetic Selection in Open Housing
This training session presents a survey of the tools you need to improve production in your herd as well as the best genetic options for free-stall operations.